Nothing is more American than Obesity and Overeating. Here’s a clip on how to prep and train for the annual Nathan’s Hot Dog eating contest held at Coney Island, NY, by a Major League Eater(MLE, only in America!!!!!). My favorite eating celebrities are Kobayashi, Sonya Thomas, and Bay Area native, Joey Chestnut.
In the spirit of the U.S. independence day, here’s an unrelated story. S&P’s equity analyst Sam Stovall claims that stocks are trading like they have in election years since 1990. Here’s the break down of his analysis(source from business insider) if things continue to track the average election year.
1. Prediction on 5 out of last 6 months has been spot on(except February).
2. The worst is already behind us, as 78% of all yearly lows occurred in the first half.
3. 85% of all highs happened in the second half, and 70% in the fourth quarter.
4. The S&P 500 posted its strongest gain in Q3, rising 5.0% and gaining in price 61% of the time. (This data contradicts a look-back to only 1945.)
5. July and August were the strongest months, gaining an average of nearly 2% and 3%, respectively. The final four months’ results have also been positive.
One interesting note at the end, Stovall claimed earlier this year in his writing that stocks can predict presidential election with 88% accuracy.
I don’t give much weight to what analysts say, but I(also an analyst) do pay attention(taken with a grain of salt) to what others have to say and synthesize my own conclusion based on facts.
Have a safe and fun-filled Independence Day.